B.A. in Spanish

The Spanish major consists of 30 units of upper division coursework. Up to 16 units of prerequisite coursework or demonstrated language proficiency is required to begin the major. All upper division courses are conducted in Spanish, and students are expected to use Spanish in their speaking, reading, and writing.


Preparation for Majors and Non-majors

First-year courses in Spanish are designed for students who have had no previous formal training in Spanish and are not native speakers. Those students who have spoken Spanish at home but have not had any formal training should usually enroll in SPAN 215 Spanish for Heritage Speakers.
SPAN 101 and SPAN 102 (four units each) emphasize the four basic language skills, understanding, speaking, reading, and writing.
The second-year sequence (SPAN 205 / SPAN206) reviews and expands upon the principles learned in SPAN 101 / SPAN 102. Second-year courses are 3 units each.

Admission to the Program

Four years of high school Spanish are required, or four semesters of lower division college Spanish or the equivalent. Proficiency can be demonstrated by completing the necessary lower-division courses, testing out of them, or by taking the placement test. Please contact an advisor to take the placement test.


Requirements for Bachelor of Arts in Spanish (30 units)

Required Courses (12 units):

  • MLL 325 Linguistics for Foreign Language (3)
  • SPAN 341 Introduction to the Reading of Literary Texts (3)
  • SPAN 401 Culture and Civilization of Spain (3) or SPAN 405 Culture and Civilization of Spanish America (3)
  • SPAN 595 Senior Seminar in Spanish or Spanish American Literature (3) [to be taken once in senior year]

Electives (18 units):

Choose any six courses in Spanish numbered 300 to 699. At least three of these courses must be at the 400 level or above.
NOTE: A minimum of 40 upper division units must be completed for the degree (including upper division units required for the major, general education, electives, etc.). A student can complete this major yet not attain the necessary number of upper division units required for graduation. In this case, additional upper division courses will be needed to reach the required total.

Minimum total: 30 units



Writing in the Major

Students must complete the University’s GWAR requirement by taking SPAN 350GW, MLL 400GW, or CWL 400GW.