Modern Language Laboratory
The Modern Language Laboratory consists of a teaching laboratory (Humanities 402) and a student computing center (Humanities 404) for the use of students studying foreign languages. The teaching lab seats up to 50 students and contains workstations with the latest language learning software and internet resources. Students may also check out audio-visual material for use on site. The student computer center contains both Apple Macs and PCs, and are for general student use during hours of operation.
Graduate Reading Room
The Graduate Reading Room (Humanities 472) is a quiet space used for scholarly presentations, faculty meetings, dissertation defenses and oral exams. The room contains 40 seats situated among shelves full of classic foreign language books and journals. Use of the Graduate Reading Room is restricted to department faculty, staff and graduate students. Advance booking is required through the Foreign Language Department Office (Humanities 475).
Chinese Reading Room
The Chinese Reading Room (Humanities 514) holds more than 1,000 volumes of books on Chinese language, literature, linguistics, history and philosophy, as well as Chinese language reference dictionaries and rare antiquarian thread-bound Chinese classics. The Chinese Reading Room is not a lending library, and use of the materials, open to all SFSU students and faculty, must be on site. The key to the Chinese Reading Room can be retrieved from the Foreign Languages Department Office (Humanities 475).
Toshiko Mishima Memorial Tea Room
The Toshiko Mishima Memorial Tea Room (Humanities 117) is a traditional Japanese-style tea house located on the first floor of the Humanities Building, used for demonstrations of the Japanese chanoyu (Japanese tea ceremony) for which the Japanese Program is known.
Persian Studies Center
The Persian Studies center, located in Humanities 413, is the reading room, tutorial center, office of student organizations, as well as the cultural center for students of Persian Studies and Middle East Studies. The center provides access to reference materials, textbooks, journals, maps, online learning resources, International television, and radio programs broadcasted in the original languages through a Satellite system, and other related cultural materials. The center offers students use of computers, printers, and other equipment. Academic and cultural events, such as film screenings, book signings, poetry readings, and annual festivals are also held at the center and are open to all.
- American Association for Italian Studies (AAIS)
- American Association of Applied Linguistics
- American Association of Teachers of Arabic
- American Association of Teachers of French
- American Association of Teachers of German (AATG)
- American Association of Teachers of Italian (AATI)
- American Association of Teachers of Japanese
- American Association of Teachers of Persian
- American Association of Teachers of Slavic and Eastern European Languages (AATSEEL)
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese: (AATSP)
- American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
- American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA)
- American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS)
- American Council of Teachers of Russian
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Oriental Society
- Society for Classical Studies (American Philological Association)
- American Translators Association (ATA)
- Association for Asian Studies
- California Interdisciplinary Consortium of Italian Studies
- California Language Teachers' Association
- Chinese Language Teachers Association (CLTA)
- Chinese Language Teachers Association of California (CLTAC)
- College Language Association
- Conseil International d'Études Francophones
- Fédération Internationale de Traducteurs (FIT)
- Foreign Language Association of Northern California (FLANC)
- International Association of Conference Interpreters (AIIC)
- Linguistic Society of America (LSA)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association (PAMLA)